Leicestershire Yeomanry 1914-1918
The regiment was formed on the creation of the Territorial Force in April 1908 and placed under orders of the North Midland Mounted Brigade. It was headquartered in Leicester with the squadrons being headquartered as follows:
A Squadron: Melton Mowbray (and drill stations at Uppingham, Rearsby, Harby and Oakham)
B Squadron: Leicester
C Squadron: Loughborough (Whitwick, Mountsorrel and Leicester)
D Squadron: Lutterworth (Market Bosworth, Market Harborough, Wigston, Ibstock and Hinckley)
1/1st Leicestershire Yeomanry
This is the original, 'first line' regiment
August 1914 : moved with the brigade to Norfolk and placed under orders of 1st Mounted Division.
3 November 1914: having left brigade, landed in France.
12 November 1914: under orders of 7th Cavalry Brigade in 3rd Cavalry Division.
November 1917: moved to 8th Cavalry Brigade in same division.
14 March 1918: left brigade with intention of being converted into a cyclist unit. This was altered to form a machine gun unit with the North Somerset Yeomanry. This was short lived and the regiment remounted.
4 April 1918: regiment split up, one squadron going each to 4th Hussars, 5th and 16th Lancers, all in 3rd Cavalry Brigade.
Formed as a Second-Line regiment in September 1914 and remained at home throughout the war.
Under orders of 2/1st North Midland Mounted Brigade.
October 1915 : moved with the brigade to Norfolk and placed under orders of 1st Mounted Division, replacing 1/1st North Midland Mounted Brigade when it left for Salonika.
April 1916 : brigade renamed 3rd Mounted Brigade.
July 1916: at Holt. Converted into a cyclist unit, under orders of 3rd Cyclist Brigade in 1st Cyclist Division.
November 1916: became a mounted unit again, at Bishop's Stortford; brigade renamed 2nd Mounted Brigade. Under orders of a new 1st Mounted Brigade (formerly 3rd and 2/2nd Mounted Divisions).
By May 1917; moved to Leybourne in Kent.
August 1917: Converted into a cyclist unit, under orders of 12th Cyclist Brigade in Cyclist Division. Moved to Tonbridge.
Early 1918: moved to Canterbury and then remained there..
Formed as a Third-Line training unit in 1915.
1916: affiliated to 12th Reserve Cavalry regiment at Aldershot.
Early 1917: absorbed into 3rd Reserve Cavalry Regiment at Aldershot.